The museum in the city / The city in the museum
The Museum of Copenhagen opened in Febryary 2020 in architect Hans J. Holm’s listed building from 1894 in Stormgade 18.
The restoration and transformation of the building has been executed in a rich interdisiplinary collaboration where the architectural and historical values of the building are re-evoked through carefully selected additions, transformations and restorations.
The spaces of the building are brought to life through a reversible and reflective exhibition architecture and site specific lighting project which balances the rationel with the poetic in respect and dialogue with the original richness of detail and craftmanship.
Together with our partner Rørbæk og Møller Architects, LETH & GORI has led the entire design team in the undertaking of the complex restoration work.
Engineering consultants: Hundsbæk & Henriksen. Color conservation: Københavns Konservatorer v/ Anne Simonsen
The new beautiful exhibition architecture is designed by JAC Studios.
Lighting design: Fortheloveoflights
Conservator: The National Museum of Denmark
Color consultant: Københavns Konservatorer, Anne Simonsen
The project is the result of a year-long and inspiring design process in close collaboration with The Museum of Copenhagen, Copenhagen City Archives (Københavns Stadsarkiv), The City of Copenhagen – Kultur- og Fritidsforvaltningen and Byggeri København.
See images from the construction site here: Museum of Copenhagen construction site